Aeropress is our choice for "most likely to improve your coffee experience at work" award because of its ease of preparation, use, and clean-up. It also produced a clean, ground free cup of coffee every time. This short guide details our method in brewing a cup of coffee with an Aeropress. We also feature guides on brewing coffee with:
What is Aeropress?
In short, a pressure driven style coffee maker composed of a press with a rubber seal. This press descends through the chamber pressing the coffee through a filter which rests over-top a coffee cup. Here's our favorite way to make it, you'll need:
Step by step:
- Bring water to boil at 203-205 degrees
- Grind coffee to medium-fine. Grind too fine and plunging will be difficult.
- Insert Aeropress filter into the plastic cap and run how water through it, adhering filter to cap and pre-heating cup
- Assemble the Aeropress
- Place on a scale with flared end-up (numbers upside down )and tare scale.
- Add 18g of ground coffee.
- Slowly add a 2:1 ratio water to coffee by weight taking around 1 minute to fill chamber, stir for 10 seconds, excess stirring will prematurely cool coffee.
- Allow coffee to sit for additional 30 seconds
- Fasten top cap and lock. Flip entire assembly over and place on top of a cup. Apply firm downward pressure.
- When done remove filter and cup of condensed grounds by pushing the plunger the final inch.
Aeropress is a cheap, portable and quick method of brewing a clean cup of coffee with no sacrifice to quality.